Mothers share a bond, whether they are mothers from Utah or from a war-torn country seeking refugee status.Women of the World and The Leonardo Museum are excited to announce that together we will be celebrating “Mothers of the World” by unveiling an art installation of the same name. All of this will happen as part of The Leonardo’s Community Connections program and Women of the World’s Annual Celebration of Mother’s Day on Sunday, 8 May 2016.
- When: Sunday, 8 May 2016. Doors open at 2 p.m., Program to begin at 2:30 p.m.
- Where: The Leonardo Museum. 209 East 500 South, Salt Lake City.
- What: Celebration of mothers from all over the world.
- Cost: Free.
The Leonardo is commissioning a collaborative art piece with guest artists adding their unique celebration of Mothers Day. Geared towards refugee mothers, the installation hopes to create awareness about the trials and triumphs of refugee women and girls that settle in Utah. After the unveiling, the Leonardo will donate this art piece to Women of the World.The way Women of the World achieves its mission of “supporting refugee women to achieve self-reliance, a voice in the community, and empowering economic success” by:
- Training them in conversational English using the ‘classroom of the community’
- Ensure their physical and mental health is treated before requiring further achievement in academia or industry.
- Developing differentiated job skills in language, service, or creative industries that move their earnings up the value chain quickly.
- Giving everyone the opportunity of further education.
- Advocacy when unfortunate events occur in any stage of resettlement.
As a member of the Salt Lake community, we love making a difference The Leo way. Every Sunday we’ll partner with different organizations and members of the community—YOU—to take initiative. Come prepared to do fun, hands-on projects with your own art, science and tech twist. Your projects will be spread out to services and non-profits around Salt Lake and beyond!For more information about Women of the World visit https://womenofworld.org/. For more information about The Leonardo Museum visit http://theleonardo.org/ .